The Holiday break for many people is a time of stress free rest and relaxation, especially for those who are in college or university. You can catch up with old friends and family, maybe go skating or get that last minute shopping done, or if you are a movie lover, you can always spend an afternoon off catching a flick at the local theatre. Thankfully, movie buffs have quite a few awesome options to choose from this holiday, here are a few of the best to catch this Christmas break.
1) Star Wars: The Force Awakens – This is the most obvious choice on the list, as everyone and their grandmother has been eagerly awaiting what is arguably the biggest movie release of the last decade. Episode VII continues the original trilogy and brings back iconic heroes of old, as well as introducing a whole host of amazing new characters into the fold. The movie has already smashed global opening records in its first few days, and we expect Star Wars: The Force Awakens to continue to steamroll the record books as we head into 2016. You can check out our review HERE
2) Sisters – This heartwarming comedy comes from SNL alum Tina Fey and Amy Poehler, which should be reason enough for you to want to give this one a shot. The story follows two sisters who have found themselves in very different walks of life, as they throw one last epic party in their childhood home before their parents make the sale final. As you would expect, things don’t go according to plan, and the resulting chaos makes for an awesome time.
3) The Revenant – Leonardo Decaprio headlines this grizzly tale of a fur trapper in the 19th century as he is attacked by a massive bear and left for dead by his companions, and robbed of everything he had worked for. Surviving the attack, the trapper is now out for revenge, and we hope this will be the one that finally lands Leo that oscar he has been looking for all these years!
4) The Hateful Eight – Quentin Tarantino is back with his latest offering, The Hateful Eight, after many month of speculation, leaked scripts and on set issues. The movie follows a bounty hunter and his prey, as they are caught in the middle of a massive blizzard and forced to take cover with another group of survivors. Tensions boil over in this old time western, as each person hiding out in the storm has their own agenda and goals in mind.
5) Daddy’s Home – Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg join forces once again for this Christmas Day romp that pits mild mannered step dad (Ferrell) against totally badass biological father (Wahlberg) as they try and win over the kids of the house. These two are incredible on screen together as seen in The New Guys a few years back, which still ranks as one of the funniest movies to come out in recent years. This one should be an absolute treat!
6) Point Break – This remake of the classic 1991 film, Point Break follows an undercover cop as he infiltrates a gang of bank robbers. These robbers also happen to be heavy into the extreme sports scene after a string of highly sophisticated bank robberies, and the undercover FBI agent gets in a little too deep! The original was an awesome action film, here’s hoping this one is just as fun when it opens on Christmas Day
7) Concussion – Also opening on the 25th, Concussion stars Will Smith as Dr. Bennet Omalu, a neurosurgeon whose research helped bring awareness to the massive head trauma problem that has plagued many NFL players, leading to many suicides and other terrible events. Touting an all-star cast including Smith, Alec Baldwin ,and Luke Wilson; Concussion looks to be the sports drama of the year!
There you have it folks, we hope this handy guide helps make your movie going experience this holiday a little easier! As always, if you have any other suggestions or comments, feel free to leave us a little something on our facebook page! Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!